Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Adopt us....please!!!

While our stay in Ukraine, we used an opportunity to visit local (in Kiev region) orphanage. We bought a box of mandarins, bananas and few other treats for kids. It was small, family type orphanage, kind of like foster care here in US.

Kids live in families , 5-7 kids per family and most of these kids are older, 12-16 year olds.
There were 5 different families, they are all under one roof but every family is living on it's own. It was so different from what we saw while adopting our first son, from Donetsk region. Kids are dressed, fed much better and looks way healthier. Kids have an idea what family is. Every night they do pray, kids attend church every Sunday, go to public school, and have a better life than kids in regular orphanages.But kids are still orphans and they needs to be adopted and have a real loving family.

We had an opportunity and privilege to get to know kids more from one particular family. There were few younger kids in this family.
At the time we were saying "bye" to the kids, one of the kids(6 year old) came up to my husband and put his head on his shoulder and whispered into his ear "Can you adopt us, please"? (this kid has another sibling) Tears ran down my face, and I saw tears in my husbands eyes. Our hearts were broken with this words. It's so hard to leave all this kids behind us, and I wish we can take them all, and keep few of them, and find families for rest of these kids. We are praying for all the little kiddos out there!

3 comments:

Alan said...

Yes been there done that, it is truly heartwrenching. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Tatyana, glad you are all home safe in your roost. I had one of my sons read this post to me while cooking and it got me teary-eyed. My heart does break for these children.

blessings, Kelly

MamaPoRuski said...

I think I know this orphanage, we too spent a lot of time there. I do believe however the majority of the children are not available?
Praying for all those left behind!